Monday 1 December 2008

Mountsorrel

We moved all the way up to Mountsorrel last week. Since Lisa was at work, I started off at seven thirty on Monday morning and it was a little chilly to say the least although there was no frost. I met no other boats moving except one that moved off from my current mooring just after I arrived at ten and carried on towards Leicester. Maybe they know we still don't have a shower on board.

Just before last light, a Land and Water push tug arrived with a widebeam dumb barge and digger and moored up behind us. I'm still amazed by wide beam boats as I'm still not used to seeing them on the move through locks. Another boat moved onto the mooring behind us today from the direction of Leicester and two old folk, after tying up, virtually ran from the boat to the nearby pub. We reckoned that it must be 'cheap lunches for the oldies' day. Obviously they didn't want any other oldies taking their seat.

Lisa is currently ill and off work with a bit of a cough and a few sniffles although she is convinced it is a lot worst. I've never heard so much complaining, noise and moaning from one person in my life. She's currently lying on the bed snorting, wheezing, grunting, groaning and whining. I always thought that man flu was a gender related ailment but apparently not.

I'm getting on with the two new English longbows I have on the go and they should be finished by the end of the week. It's a little more difficult than I had expected as I originally believed that they would fit across the boat for tillering (bending) but this is not the case. I have adapted a new method but not perfected it yet. It's going to be a while before I will be up to my full production of three bows a week but I'll get there.

Terri visited from the Big Smoke on Sunday evening and actually stayed overnight. We are honoured. We have decided to make our way through Leicester this weekend and as such I will make my way down to Syston and the Hope and Anchor pub for Friday before the journey on Saturday morning. The Hope and Anchor is another appalling chain pub serving dreadful food but at least we know this before we arrive. Hungry Horse? It would need to be a starving horse before it would eat there.

No comments: